Another beautiful day on the farm. A bit of sun, rain, wind, and cold. Makes for a very slippery surface I will say. I started the day with nice clean work clothes and at the end of the day, my pants were a lovely mud brown colour.

Now before readung on, I do need to put in a warning: IF YOU ARE MALE, IT IS ADVISED THAT YOU STOP HERE!

(If you watched the clip above, I need to add that I am still alive, but did not continue filming as I wanted to get the job done as fast as possible.)

House Rates was a week old this week and it was time for the snip! Well, the ring in this case, but same result. The only trick was, how was I going to catch him, and School Fees, well he was actually a she (I was alway a bit sus about Hayley’s gender identification process, but now she knows that if there ain’t anything danglin’ then it’s a girl) so no need to do anything to her. I fenced a small section off in an adjoining paddock and herded the cows and calves in, next I coaxed the mums out and was left with both calves in the temp yard and all the cows and their horns in the paddock. Well that didn’t last long as the calves just ramed through to get back to their mums. Take two and this time, House Rates got a litlle stuck, which gave me the opportunity to grab her and carry her to where the marking tool was. After sliding in the mud a bit (OK a lot) I managed to get a handle on her. (Mental Note: next time have the tool in my back pocket rather than 30m away!) Dang he was a heavy boy! I would say about 50+kgs and having a 50+kg animal kick and squirm in your arms is a bit of a pain! Anyway I got him to the tool, called Hayley to give me a hand holding a leg so I didn’t get brained, and then OUCH, on went the castration ring.

All this time, all of the cows were pacing the fence and mooing their heads off, so I wanted to get the thing done and let him go ASAP. He went back to mum without any fuss and seems to be fine. The cows are a little more nervous now, but I’ll soon win them back with feed šŸ™‚

We also got our first batch of seeds planted up in the greenhouse. They should do well in there and in a couple of weeks we will put start another batch. So far we have put in tomatoes, capsicum, pumpkin, cucumber and chillis. Also nasturtiums and corriader, along with cherries and plums. Hopefully the cherries and plum work as they are from an orchard of a friend of ours in S.A and will save us about $1000 in seedling stock if they germinate!

Lastly, we have finally settled on a name for the farm and will now get busy registering all the livestock under the name of “Highland Heritage”. šŸ™‚


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s