Haybale Chicken Shed

The boys love the new chook shed!

The nights here have been getting down to single digits and we have been getting frost most mornings over the past couple of weeks. The vegies have really been hit hard by the frost and we are down to the last week of summer veg. I am hoping that the corn will ripen up ok as the day time temps are still relatively warm.

But with the cold nights, our poor silkie chickens are struggling. Last year they did ok, but this year the cold nights have come early and it is time for a chicken house upgrade. I was inspired by reading a post from Milkwood Farm called “RawBale Chicken House Design”. Ours is nowhere near as elaborate as theirs, however, the silkie chooks should be a lot warmer and out of the draft in their new home. It is made out of old pallets and basic pasture hay bales with a tin roof. There are a couple of windows also to allow for a bit of light and the egg box is a work in progress (aka, haven’t really planned that out yet, but shouldn’t be too difficult). Work work starts back up for me tomorrow, so hopefully will finish it over the next couple of evenings.

More of a cubby house for the boys!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Haybale Chicken Shed

  1. I am going to be building a strawbale structure for our 6 chickens soon to house them for the winter. I like your idea here with the pallets, could you take and post a few more pictures, and an summary of how you constructed it. And lastly, how is it working out?

    • Awesome! I can;t recommend the strawbale chicken shed enough. We have really wet and cold winters where I live and the silky chickens and duck have all been snug as a bug in a rug in their home. I went through my photo collection and unfortunately do not have any more photos to upload, but the basic structure is as follows:
      the floor consists of 4 pallets, brick piers on each corner of the pallets to ensure stability. If I had my time again I would make this much higher. As it stands it is 5 bricks high, I would go at least 10 next time to allow easier access under for cleaning. The walls were 1 pallet high and each corner of the shed, I sank a post. Attachment was via recycled gal. nails. Rafters were from salvaged beams and roofing was from salvaged roofing iron. I stacked the bales in as I would lay bricks and had to make a 1/2 bale. Easy enough to do, cut twine, remove biscuits until desired size and retie. The door I made as a ramp, and this was from a 1/2 size pallet. I allowed a small gap between roof and top course of bales for a little extra light and air flow. I also nailed chicken wire to the outside for extra security, we have a pretty big fox problem so I wanted to be extra careful. Hope this helps!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s